Let's talk BATHROOMS!!
The bathroom has been at the forefront of my mind this week as I am in the middle of redecorating ours. So how do you choose the right scent for your bathroom or toilet? I have my TOP 5 scents here based on great feedback form customers, my own 'scentific' experience (my own made up word but it's a good one!) and a little help from the fundamentals of Feng Shui.
Feng Shui guru Davina MacKail says that when it comes to the bathroom, you can't go wrong by thinking all things spa. "Recreate that feeling when you walk into a beautiful spa. How do they do it? Scented candles, aromatherapy oil burner, fresh flowers, beautiful calming artwork and matching fluffy towels. These are all reasonably inexpensive ways to upgrade the look and feel of the room."
She also advises on creating a good balance between the natural elements. Feng Shui is all about balance and clearly the bathroom has a lot of water already! Therefore some good items to bring into the space will be based around the earth element. Items like plants, natural crystals, pebbles or shells will all help to create that tranquil sanctuary theme.
Now, in terms of fragrance here are my top 5 suggestions. This list is by no means exhaustive but it's a great starting point! I have put them in order from the boldest through to the most delicate. Something to bare in mind alongside the size of the space you want to fill with scent and your preference for scent power. Are you looking for an air freshener or a gentle presence of fragrance? I have it all here!
1. COTTON. Starting with the boldest here and running with the suggestion of soft fluffy towels. The classic scent of freshly cleaned linen will further enhance the cleansing quality you might wish to emphasise in your space.
2. LEMONGRASS & GINGER. This fragrance packs a punch so it works very well as an air freshener. Zingy citrus notes with the a clean, fresh ginger. Popular in all parts of the house and it performs excellently in the bathroom..
3. ROSE & OUD. It's light and floral and would go perfectly in any bathroom! Powdery, clean freshness with the balance of all things earthy. Yes Please!!!
4. RASPBERRY & PEPPERCORN. It just smells so clean! Not as strong as it's sister, Lemongrass & Ginger, this fruit and spice blend is more delicate in it's quality. Depends if you're looking for a gentle wave of freshness or a nice big blast of it! Either way, it's nice to have a choice! This one sits proudly on my bathroom shelf at the moment although I'll be switching it up when it runs out for number 5!
5. CUCUMBER & MELON. Now this fits in my brain as a summer scent officially but when it comes to the bathroom, the fruity fragrance that isn't too sweet just compliments the cleanliness and freshness of the room. Maybe it's the association with a spa as well, cucumber slices on the eyes with a fresh melon face mask, ahhh spalicious!
Photo credits to the gorgeously spectacular @shellz.home (www.instagram.com/shellz.home/)